Thursday, August 9, 2012

The End of a Process

Today a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders.  To explain, it will require a few references to the past please excuse the meanderings.
I remember driving my clunker of a car to my first job interview for a nursing position over an hour away from my home.  I also remember it breaking down in the middle of the commute.  A kind police officer gave me a jump and helped me get to the next exit while my then father-in-law drove to exchange vehicles with me so I could make it to my vehicle.  After a few tears over the mishap and getting the position working nights on a cardiac unit, I begged to be allowed to get a new vehicle.  After much searching and negotiation, we found my Ford Fusion 2010.  I counted it a sign from God I was doing the right thing that my old car got simultaneous flats as I drove it into the car dealership to trade in for a glorious 1000 dollars (ha, probably for the money on scrap metal).
We signed the paperwork together (Chase and I).  He was the primary and I was co-signer has he had more credit built up than I. Payments began.
Fast forward to the end of April of this year.  I began the process of attempting to get registration in my new state of residence.  I got all the paperwork together that I thought I would need.  Marriage certificate (as I had purchased the vehicle when my name had not been changed from my maiden name), death certificate, driver's license, proof of insurance, and title that showed his and my name.  I waited in line with my sweet girl for 30 minutes to be told that I would need HIS signature to be allowed to register the vehicle.  After breaking into a hysteric cry, I was ushered to a manager who explained that I would need the title in my name only to be able to register and to go home and speak with my lean holder.
Three conversations with Ford Motor Credit and over a month later, Ford suggested I do a transfer of equity.  This took approximately 3 weeks to complete.  They graciously mailed a copy of the title now supposedly only in my name, to the DMV.  I allowed two weeks for mail time and made my second trip to the DMV, for them to tell me that the paperwork had not arrived yet.  I waited another three days and made the third trip to the DMV, for them to tell me that the paperwork had been rejected because HIS name remained on the title.  I burst into tears walking away from the counter for a third time.  I called my father in tears explaining my predicament.  The next day he spoke with the supervisor at the DMV in person.  Found out about a blessed form T-20 for inheritance of property.  I had it notarized.  Waited another week because my 30 binder for proof of insurance in Georgia's electronic system had lapsed and needed to be re-entered in the system and a hard copy proof of insurance wouldn't work.
TODAY!  I took the documents I had originally taken to the DMV... marriage certificate, death certificate, PLUS this T-20 form that no one had mentioned to me at the beginning of all this mess.  The original title with his name and my name worked beautifully.  I now am driving a registered vehicle.  It only took four months and a lot of reciprocity.
Tell me our government works like a smooth sailing ship and I'll tell you I saw a pig fly by my window last night.

1 comment: