Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Sometimes I Still Have A Heart

It's easy to become jaded in the nursing profession.  It's a lot of give and not much take.  Every once in a while, I get a patient who tugs at my heart strings.
Yesterday, I was already in a fierce mood at work.  I got a call that I was going to get an ambulance from a nursing home.  Ground level fall with hip pain with dementia.  I prepared myself for the worst.  The man was an angel.  Smiled at me from the beginning, cooperative with whatever I asked, and sweet as can be.  We did the necessary work up and found out he was just fine.  I called to arrange for transport back to his home.  I helped him get dressed.  He struggled with the button on his pants and the knot in my throat felt like a boulder.  I asked him if I could help him button and he looked at me with pleading eyes, "please" he asked.  I  buttoned him up and put his sweater on and shoes.  I sat him back down on the bed and asked him if there was anything I could get him while he was waiting.  No, he said.  I was desperate to do something nice for this man.  Water?  "No, thank you."  Television?  "No, thank you."  Newspaper?  "No, thank you."  My heart was welling up and about to overflow through my eyes in enormous tears.  Coffee?  His eyes were round saucers like a puppy dog waiting for a bone.  "I would love some."  I tore out of the room to the coffee machine, made a fresh cup and brought it too him.  I seriously don't think I've ever seen anyone more grateful for a cup of coffee.  He was smiling from ear to ear with each sip.  I'll admit, he saw the tears come one by one.  He asked me, "what's wrong darlin'?"  I told him I was just happy to help him.  He reached over and patted my hand.
That was it.  It was enough gratitude from one man to last me at least 4 weeks.
Too bad I couldn't bring him home with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment